Re: cd

From: Levente Torok
Subject: Re: cd
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:07:31 +0200

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 05:17:03PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 25-Aug-2008, Levente Torok wrote:
>
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I ran into an other simple compatibility issue:
> | In octave, 'cd' does not return anything however it should (pwd).
>
> Yes, this is a known "problem".  I'd consider a patch.
>
> But one thing that should not be "fixed" is that cd by itself should
> change the current directory to $HOME.  ...

Agree that this should not be "fixed", but wouldn't it be weird then
if the current directory is printed before 'cd' changes to the home
directory?  Olaf

If matlab compatilibity is a target, than it should follow what matlab does.
In matlab "cd" return the current dir and does not change it!.
"cd ~"
returns nothing but changes curr dir.