Re: Numerical improvements

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Numerical improvements
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:09:00 +0200

2008/9/30 Mirsad Cirkic <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>

> I am very interested in helping the GNU community of getting greater and
> better. So, I would like to contribute with my knowledge of signal
> processing and numerical computations. For starters, I would like to improve
> the eig function on the wish-list [1].

A good project. Since this functionality is contained in LAPACK, you
should preferably wrap the LAPACK calls (we employ BLAS/LAPACK for
most of the dense linear algebra) in a class, then extend the eig
builtin to provide the functionality in a way compatible with MATLAB.

> How do I become a part of the GNU
> octave contributors' community? Is there any extra information I need to
> know before I start?

Unless you have already done so, I think a good way to start is to try
to compile a development snapshot of Octave.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert