Re: [Changeset]: Re: cla() ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [Changeset]: Re: cla() ?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:32:35 -0400

On 10-Oct-2008, Ben Abbott wrote:

| I'm remain unfamiliar with the c++ side. So I won't be any help with
| this, but I do have a question regarding the nature of the objects'
| properties. Are the properties essentially structures? or are they
| more than that? Can their values be associated with some function?
|
| For example, can get (gcf, "currentaxes") call a function that (1)
| returns the handle for the last known active axis object, provided
| to associated axis exists, or (2) in the event the axis does not
| exist look for the youngest axis/child of the figure and return
| that, or (3) if no child axes exist then create one?

The get fucntions are supposed to be const, so having them also set
properties causes trouble.

| Beyond that, I do understand why the function that deletes an object
| should be responsible to notifying the child's parent. However, I do
| not understand why that delete process should take care of things
| like "currentfigure" or "currentaxes". Shouldn't it be the
| responsibility of the parent to say who their favorite child is?
| ... further shouldn't the parent have the freedom to delay that
| determination until someone asks?

I think that it would be best if things are kept in a consistent/valid
state at all times, so that when something is deleted, that operation
ensures that all the necessary cleanup/reorganization happens as
well.