Re: help as m-files

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: help as m-files
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:00:59 +0100

ons, 29 10 2008 kl. 17:52 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> | Yes, I would prefer that. However, I'm not sure if it is a good change.
> | The current code is really simple as it just calls a macro. So, this
> | work only makes sense if we can remove all internal variables.
>
> I'm confused now.  What current code is that?

Sorry about that. Currently the code to handle the 'info_file' variable
is handled with the following code (my changeset doesn't change this,
because I wasn't sure about the consequences)

DEFUN (info_file, args, nargout,
  "-*- texinfo -*-\n\
@deftypefn {Built-in Function} address@hidden =} info_file ()\n\
@deftypefnx {Built-in Function} address@hidden =} info_file
(@var{new_val})\n\
Query or set the internal variable that specifies the name of the\n\
Octave info file.  The default value is\n\
@code{\"@var{octave-home}/info/octave.info\"}, in\n\
which @var{octave-home} is the directory where all of Octave is
installed.\n\
@seealso{info_program, doc, help, makeinfo_program}\n\
@end deftypefn")
{
  return SET_NONEMPTY_INTERNAL_STRING_VARIABLE (info_file);
}

That seems quite simple to me. If you need to do a lot of work to move
this to an m-file, then I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort. But
hey, I haven't looked into the details, so I just might be missing the
obvious.

Søren