Re: Graphical help browser

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Graphical help browser
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:20:18 +0100

man, 24 11 2008 kl. 09:11 +0100, skrev Rafael Laboissiere:
> * Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> [2008-11-23 20:20]:
>
> >   These days it's quite easy to create special purpose web browsers
> > (using webkit), so I figured I'd give it shot. At
> > http://hauberg.org/wiki/doku.php?id=help_browser you guys can get the
> > source code to a graphical help browser, and see a screen shot. I've
> > been using it for the last month or so, and it's quite stable.
>
> I tried your code, it compiles okay, but fails to run:
>
> octave:1> autoload ("__help_browser_add_path__", "help_browser.oct");
> octave:2> __help_browser_add_path__ ("core", "core_html");
> error: help_browser.oct: undefined symbol: gtk_dispatcher

You shouldn't need to call 'autoload' manually, as that command is in
the PKG_ADD file. Somehow it seems that the PKG_ADD file is not sourced.
Before calling any of the help_browser functions, try running all the
commands in the PKG_ADD file manually from Octave. These commands are

  autoload ("__help_browser_add_path__", "help_browser.oct");
  mark_as_command ("help_browser")
  __init_gtk__

The important one you're missing is '__init_gtk__'. I don't understand
why PKG_ADD isn't sourced, but that is the cause of your problems.

> I adapted your code for Octave 3.0.1 (patches attached below)
> and this may be the cause of the problem.

No, you're changes seem just fine. I have used the code under 3.0.x with
similar changes.

Søren