Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:56:10 -0600

2008/11/22 Marco Caliari <address@hidden>:
> In Octave expm there are first some "reductions" (trace reduction
> and balancing) and then Pade' approximation (8,8) with scaling and
> squaring.  On the other hand, Matlab does not make any reductions
> and uses Pade' approximation (6,6) with scaling and squaring

Thank you for the explanation. Now, am I correct in inferring that the
extra steps that Octave does for this function (whose implementation I
think I finally found after Doxygenising the sources, yay!) produce a
noticeable performance hit as compared to Matlab's? Is this
performance hit acceptable?

- Jordi G. H.