Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:35:36 +0100

tir, 25 11 2008 kl. 13:58 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>     1) Completely free and cross platform. I understand compiling Qt
>     on Windows with MinGW is trivial, whereas GTK+ is more of a
>     challenge, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm under the impression that gtk works easily with mingw, but I haven't
used windows in a decade, so I'm as far from being an expert as
possible. But see http://live.gnome.org/gtkmm/MSWindows for details.

>     3) Nice tools to go with it (I rather like Qt Designer better than
>     Glade).

John, do you actually use such a tool in OctaveDE? I didn't for the help
browser, as it seems to be in the way for such a simple GUI.

>     4) Big players prefer it, so I am guessing they have good reasons
>     for it.

Really? I was under the impression that Qt is mostly used in embedded
applications. But hey, I don't really know...

> Of course, these are very subjective reasons... but in the grand
> tradition of past holy wars like Emacs vs vim and Gnome vs KDE (of
> which this present jihad feels like an offshoot), subjectivity is all
> we have.

Yay, we can a flame-war :-)

Søren