question regarding communication with gnuplot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: question regarding communication with gnuplot
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 00:34:05 -0500

The gnuplot maintainers have recently committed a change that allows the x11 terminal to have its size and position specified.

I've modified a local version of gnuplot_drawnow to take advantage of these features. The first time a plot is drawn it works correctly. When I place a loop around a plot command, the plot grows progressively taller. It appears the each plot produces a window which is taller by an amount approximately equal to 10 pixels.

Thus, figure(1) below is about 100 pixels taller than figure(2)

        figure(1)
        clf
        for n=1:11
                plot(1:10)
                drawnow
        endfor

        figure(2)
        clf
        plot(1:10)

I'd like to be able to examine the entire gnuplot stream. Unfortunately, if I replace "drawnow" with

        drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", true, sprintf("debug-%d.gp", n))

The plots render as would be expected.

In the unlikely event that someone has a recent build of gnuplot 4.3.0+ and a recent developers build for octave, I've attached a path for gnuplot_drawnow that adds a single line to gnuplot_drawnow and willl produce the effect I've described.

So my question is, can anyone describe what is changes for the gnuplot stream in these two examples?

Ben