Re: ChangeLogs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 07:45:17 -0500

On  6-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Now that's an idea I really don't like (because of the amount of
| manual editing it brings).
| In that case, I'd vote for getting rid of ChangeLog files.

Yes, I know it is extra work (I've done a lot of it).  But it is
easier than always inserting the ChangeLog entires separately (i.e.,
if they are not included in the diffs).

| Using my approach, the entries bear their date of origin, but are
| sorted in the order they were applied, which I always found enough for
| all practical matters.

To me, that is just confusing because it looks like the entries are
sorted incorrectly.

| Sure; but what to do with the existing ChangeLog files? Can they be
| imported somehow into Mercurial? Can Savannah handle this? If we just
| leave them, the result will be sort of messy, won't it?

We keep the old ChangeLog files with names like ChangeLog.1, same as
we always have.

The information in the generated ChangeLog files is only from after
the time of the switch.