commenting style: the definite answer?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: commenting style: the definite answer?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:11:39 +0100

hello,

sorry for bringing up this issue again, but I don't think we have
reached a decision. And if we have, and I missed it, then I would like
it to be stated in contrib.txi.

Problem:

  code;
  code; # comment type 1
  ## comment type 2
  code;

Options I see:

1. (JWE's) strict style:
Use # for type 1 comments, ## for type 2 comments.

2. (JH's) relaxed style:
Choose # or ## for each type, but stay consistent throughout the file.

Both options are consistent with current sources.

The disadvantage of 1. is that it is more typing, because type 2
comments are approximately 6 times more frequent than type 1 comments.
Its advantage is that Emacs can, by default, automatically reindent
them. An analogical disadvantage is that ViM, by default, does not
format these comments. Dunno about other editors.

The disadvantage of 2. is that, well, it is less strict, and it is
less convenient for the lazier Emacs users.

I don't think there is enough justification to prefer the strict
style. What are your opinions?

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek