dir / ls routines return values

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: dir / ls routines return values
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 02:52:06 -0600

The dir() and ls() routines return strings for file names in a directory, but
they place breaks in file names with spaces, which ostensibly makes the
routines not useful for programming.  [I'm not a fan of spaces in file names...
one of the most confusing and messy conventions in computer programming.]

For example, try

 mkdir('dir with spaces and # @ $ % [ ]')
 dir('./')
 ls -1
 d = ls -1

Note a couple things.  The list returned by dir and ls have line breaks, so
there is no way to know exactly where line breaks and spaces are in files.
There is no robust way of using dir and ls that I see.

The second thing is that 'ls -1' gives a result that looks correct, spaces
intact.  But 'ls -1' by itself does not return anything into 'ans'.  That's
strange and inconsistent.

Dan