Re: Changing package file extension

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Changing package file extension
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:47:04 +0100

tor, 29 01 2009 kl. 14:40 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> I don't see this as urgent either, but anything that reduces newbie
> confusion seems like a good idea to me, especially when it's such a
> minor cosmetic change. People complain *so much* when software doesn't
> work as expected that I'm starting to think it's easier to change the
> software than people's expectations.

At some point in the near future I have to get my act together and make
some long promised changes to the release process at Octave-Forge. When
I do this it won't be much more work to change the extension of
packages. Did you actually try to install a package with a .octpkg
extension? I just tried to rename a package I had on my disc, and I see

octave:1> pkg install statistics-1.0.4.octpkg
warning: unrecognised file type, .octpkg
A(I): Index exceeds matrix dimension.
error: called from `install' in
file /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m near line
615, column 12
error: called from:
error:   /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m at line
660, column 5
error:   /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m at line
289, column 7

So, it seems like some actual change is needed for this to be an option.

Soren