Re: ChangeLogs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 01:43:21 -0500

On  7-Feb-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| As for Mercurial, one rollback is kind of limiting.  Being able to
| edit comments (i.e., "recommit") *as far back as the last
| clone/push/pull* would be very convenient.  So many times I've
| looked back at a comment and wanted to correct or better state
| something.  Note that I said as far back as the last
| clone/push/pull.  Once a changeset is propogated, modifying comments
| isn't good practice.  So long as it is a local copy, however,
| greater flexibility would be nice.  (With that in mind, even one
| allowed "rollback" is too much if something has been
| pushed/pulled/cloned.)

Use Mercurial queues if you want to be able to edit your local
changesets before committing them.

| Now, allow me to address some of John's comments.
|

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 18-Jan-2009, Thorsten Meyer wrote:
| >
| > When you create the changeset, you can use the
| >
| > --user "user name <address@hidden>"
|
| Save some effort, define this in the .hgrc file.

I'm not sure now, but the point might have been that if you are
incorporating changes from someone else, you can attribute the change
to them by using the --user option.  Of course everyone should put the
default user ID they prefer to use in their .hgrc file.