can't build development sources

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: can't build development sources
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:54:34 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to build the development sources on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and getting linking errors. I can build the 3.0.3 tarball but not the 3.1.52 snapshot (nor any recent place along the development tree).

My 3.1.52 build fails with
ld: Undefined symbols:
_METIS_NodeComputeSeparator
_METIS_NodeND
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm just compiling with "./configure && make". My ./configure output includes
configure: WARNING: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible with your Fortran 77 compiler. The reference BLAS implementation will be used. To improve performance, consider using a different Fortran compiler or a switch like -ff2c to make your Fortran compiler use a calling convention compatible with the way your BLAS library was compiled, or use a different BLAS library.

If I try FFLAGS=-ff2c ./configure, this warning goes away but I get the same linking error.

What am I missing?  Thanks for any help.

Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Department of Physics and Astronomy