Re: manual chapter about diagonal and permutation matrices

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: manual chapter about diagonal and permutation matrices
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:27:54 +0100

man, 23 02 2009 kl. 13:57 +0100, skrev Jaroslav Hajek:
> I have written a new chapter of the manual, discussing use of diagonal
> and permutation matrices in Octave:
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fcba62cc4549
>
> I would be glad if someone reviews the contents, as well as style,
> because I don't know much of texinfo yet.

I haven't had the time to read this properly, but a few quick comments:

1) In the beginning of your newly added file you have

    @ifhtml
    @set htmltex
    @end ifhtml
    @iftex
    @set htmltex
    @end iftex

   I don't know what this does, but I don't think we do it anywhere
   else. If we should have these lines, shouldn't they be in
   'octave.texi'?

2) You reference Wikipedia twice. In general we try to avoid linking to
   online stuff since the manual is also printed. If we should link to
   online stuff then I think it requires some discussion. In this
   specific case, I don't really think the links add much information,
   so I think they should simply be removed.

3) I don't really understand the text that describes how to create
   permutation matrices. I think it would be nice to have a more
   explicit example.

4) Since we print the manual we try to use TeX commands when describing
   math. So, instead if writing

    @code{i != j}

   you might want to consider writing

    @iftex
    $i \neq j$
    @endif
    @ifnottex
    @code{i != j}
    @endif

   And perhaps similar changes in other places. It makes the Texinfo
   code harder to read, but the end result looks better.

5) Is a separate chapter needed for this? Would it be better to write
   this text as part of matrix.txi ?

I apologize for not having more well-thought comments, but I'm short on
time...

Soren