Re: R: octave 3.0.4 rc5

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: R: octave 3.0.4 rc5
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:34:53 -0500

On Feb 26, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
* Rob Mahurin <address@hidden> [2009-02-26 01:43]:
On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:22 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
I can not confirm your result, 3.0.4 rc5 + your patch (cygwin) still crash
on Tetsuro's exdiff.m and also on John's
http://jbrwww.che.wisc.edu/home/jbraw/chemreacfun/figures.html

I believe the 3.0.4 rc5 tarball came from revision 7e472cf19d4a in the
3-0-x repository.  Since then there have been two patches

        http://hg.tw-math.de/release-3-0-x/rev/489d0ba75c42 to graphics.cc
        http://hg.tw-math.de/release-3-0-x/rev/e1779a6d4b7a to legends.m

in addition to the reversion of clf.m I posted to the list.  I did my
testing with all three changes.

I applied the three mentioned patches to 3.0.4-rc5 and the jbraw plot crash test run now without the axes handle errors on my Debian squeeze system.

However, after a given point (I think after fig-4-22) all the graphs become superimposed. Also, the clf() command becomes inneffective after example
fig-4-15 is executed.

Do you observe the same behavior?

I do not, on OSX 10.4.11 and some version of Red Hat Enterprise.

There seem to be two patches against the current 3-0-x tip for the axis handle bug. One is from me, reverting clf.m to a 2007 version,

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009- February/011100.html

and one from Marco Atzeri, deleting a figure's children explicitly,

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009- February/011107.html

Both of these appear to work equally well for me. Marco Atzeri's patch keeps new functionality not in 3.0.3.

Just before sending, I see another patch from Rafael Laboissiere,

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009- February/011111.html

which looks like it would not handle figures with multiple axes correctly, consistent with Rafael's observations.

Which to apply seems like a call for the release manager.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin