Re: deprecated functions

From: Jason Riedy
Subject: Re: deprecated functions
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:56:09 -0500

And John W. Eaton writes:
> This is no different from what has always happened with full x sparse
> operations, as far as I can tell.  So I don't see that this could
> cause any new problems for you.

This is in the context of deprecating dmult.  Also, spdiag is marked as
deprecated.  Both preserve sparsity.  The new diagonal matrices do not.

>> They're worse than useless to me right now.
> Comments like this are not helpful.

Neither is having my code spew warnings about deprecated functions and
referring to replacements that aren't equivalent.

splu is also spewing now (used in condest), but I assume that's
correctly dispatched to a function that returns the column permutation
in the sparse case...  I haven't checked yet.

Please stop deprecating things until they have replacements.  Or if you
do deprecate them, don't refer to replacements that don't preserve
sparsity where the original did.

>> Working on diag&sparse ops right now, but feel free to beat me to it.
> It would probably be useful to return sparse for mixed sparse and
> diag matrix operations, so this would be good to have.

Looking at the error messages from my first attempt, it'll be a while.
Making any operator change triggers a lot of rebuilding.

Jason