Re: missing pdf terminal; was --> [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibil

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: missing pdf terminal; was --> [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibility)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:50:56 -0400

On 11-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:13 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > On 10-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
| >
| > | Some weeks ago I wrote a short function to obtain values for
| > | gnuplot's public variables.
| > |
| > | ... which can be used to obtain the version and patch-level
| > |
| > |   ver = __gnuplot_get_var__ (gcf, "GPVAL_VERSION");
| > |   level = __gnuplot_get_var__ (gcf, "GPVAL_PATCHLEVEL");
| > |
| > | ... the X11 window id
| > |
| > |   window_id = __gnuplot_get_var__ (gcf, "GPVAL_TERM_WINDOWID");
| > |
| > | ... as well as the available gnuplot terminals
| > |
| > |   terms = regexp (__gnuplot_get_var__ (gcf, "GPVAL_TERMINALS"), "\\b
| > \\w+
| > | \\b", "match");
| > |
| > | Shall I commit this function and add a check to gnuplot_drawnow to
| > | verify the terminal type is available in gnuplot just after the plot
| > | stream is opened?
| >
| > Please post the function so we can discuss the implementation.
| >
| > jwe
|
| It's attached.

So it won't work on Windows?  Maybe that doesn't matter for the
particular case that we are looking at now since we are only trying to
improve the error message.  But in that case, maybe it shouldn't
produce an error when called on a system that doesn't have mkfifo.
Or should any use of this function go inside a try/catch block?

Also, instead of checking ispc to decide whether mkfifo is available,
you might just try using mkfifo in a try/catch block.  If it fails,
then you can decide what to do (maybe issue a new error mesage, or
rethrow the previous error?).