Re: after 3.2

From: Jason Riedy
Subject: Re: after 3.2
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:14:28 -0400

And Jaroslav Hajek writes:
> * Simplify array class inheritance tree.

A longer-term (and harder) goal might be to eliminate many of the
classes completely and move more code into Octave's language.  If
the dynamically typed code can be run efficiently (enough), that
may help break apart the huge operation mesh.

I really wish I had the time & background to look into using the
guts of Tamarin-tracing[1] (a JIT compiler, the basis of
Tracemonkey) to replace Octave's interpreter.  The JavaScript
language has many of the same issues as Octave's language.  Or
look into borrowing infrastructure from GNU Smalltalk or GNU
Clisp, but the is-it-an-int-index-or-a-double issue doesn't occur
in those to the same extent.

Jason

Footnotes:
[1]  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Tamarin:Tracing