Re: Example plot in Manual lacks text

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Example plot in Manual lacks text
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:55:54 -0400

On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

Also, I assume this is where "convert" is intended to produce a pdf- file from an eps-file?
"convert" is described as "part of ImageMagick" and is used by print.m to convert formats that "need conversion." Looking quickly at the code, it would appear that a reason .pdf does not work is that print.m thinks that pdf is a known terminal for
gnuplot.  I tried the command:
convert ctest.eps ctest.pdf
and it produced a pdf file.

I am not sure whether convert or ghostscript is a better choice for conversion, but I
suspect that ghostscript is better.

From your new email:
Form gnuplot what do you get when you type

   print GPVAL_TERMINALS

I get:
gnuplot> print GPVAL_TERMINALS
       undefined variable: GPVAL_TERMINALS

If I type:
gnuplot> set terminal

I get the list of terminals:

Available terminal types:
         aed512  AED 512 Terminal
         aed767  AED 767 Terminal
           aifm  Adobe Illustrator 3.0 Format
       bitgraph  BBN Bitgraph Terminal
            cgm  Computer Graphics Metafile
... and so on...  including the terminals starting with "p"
which I sent earlier.

OK?

ok, I understand.

The GPVAL_TERMINALS variable is not present in the 4.2.x, but is in 4.3.x.

As print.m already makes use of "convert", I hesitate to use ghostscript rather than "convert".

There is the additional problem of how to determine if the pdf terminal is available for gnuplot 4.2.x.

In addition, the eps driver produces a file whose canvas size is bounded by the paperpostion property. This is not the way the pdf driver behaves. Thus for pdf output we'd need to begin with a ps-file.

I'll try writing a function that is able to use the output from "set terminal" to compose a list of available terminals.

Regarding "ghostscript" or "convert" is there a windows friendly way to determine which of those are present? Perhaps we should check if "convert" exists, and if not check for "ghostscript"?

Ben