Re: Interesting plot behavior

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Interesting plot behavior
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:03:04 -0500

David Bateman wrote:
Robert T. Short wrote:

So do we have to do it the same as Mathworks? This topic has come up a few times since I have been on this list - what, exactly, does compatibility mean?

Compatibility to me means I can share my code with others and expect it to work exactly the same way if these others happen to use matlab.

This isn't so.  Matlab's syntax is a subset of Octave.  There are a lot of things that
pass in Octave (e.g., "endfunction") that Matlab doesn't understand.

Also and perhaps more importantly we the octave community can use the vast store of user generated matlab code out there and expect it to work correctly in Octave. So yes I personally consider that compatibility is important.

For the most part, this is true.

I got around this just fine, so I don't figure this is a bug, just thought it was kind of goofy. BTW, MATLAB scatter plots are horribly slow too (not as bad as this), but I never found a good way around it. Also, I have an old version of MATLAB, so I could be all wet.

I presume that matlab is horrible slow for the same reason. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that all of the patches can have different colors we could keep compatibility and basically combine all of the patches into a single gnuplot plot command as your workaround basically does. I suppose we could special case this case, but the __go_draw_axes__ function is already incredibly complex..

gnuplot does have a feature where symbol color information can be in the data
itself:

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.3/rgb_variable.html

Also, I'd think that sorting by color shouldn't be too bad in Octave.  There
can then be separate sub-commands for each group of points, pretty much the
same way that plot currently works, if I'm not mistaken.

Dan