Re: updated print.m

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: updated print.m
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:12:54 -0400

On Monday, April 20, 2009, at 03:22PM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 10-Apr-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>| I've pushed a changeset that addresses some of the troubles reported
>| for printing, and have tried to cc all that reported problems.
>|
>| With this changeset in place, only postscript and pdf output are
>| assumed to target a printed page. All other outputs (eps, emf, png,
>| etc) will render an image the size indicated by the figure's
>| paperposition property.
>|
>| Regarding pdf output, some linux variants do not have a "pdf" terminal
>| included. In the event gnuplot does not directly support pdf output a
>| check is made to see if "convert" is present. If so, a postscript page
>| is produced and "convert" is used to render the desired pdf output.
>|
>| I've also updated the help text  for print.m and made some changes to
>| clarify the code.
>
>Does calling convert work properly on Windows systems?  Do we want the
>run-time dependency on ImageMagick?  Would it be better to depend on
>ghostscript instead?
>
>jwe

As I don't have any experience with Windows, I encourage those who use Windows
to respond.

Regarding the run-time dependency, would it be preferred to use GraphicsMagick
instead? (which I do not have installed).

I've not used gs except for simple tasks. One issue I haven't looked into is
how to tell gs to crop an image according to an eps-file's bounding box. I
don't know if or how ImageMagick does this, but thought the question should be
raised (the eps files produced by gnuplot imply a convas that have a 50pt
margin around the bounding box).

Ben