Re: bundling ghostscript in mingw32 installer

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: bundling ghostscript in mingw32 installer
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:00:50 -0400

On Jun 3, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Benjamin Lindner wrote:

I tend to vote for bundling it. Pro: pdf printing works
out-of-the-box with gnuplot which does not have the pdf terminal. Con: larger installer, yet another dependency, slightly more work
when bundling (however, this should be a one-time-only effort, well,
more or less)
What do you think?

Ben,

I'd vote to leave it out. Since these are system calls to convert PS to PDF, I'd suggest testing during "print -dpdf" for the presence of GhostScript and if not present issue a warning that GhostScript is required for printing PDF files. I say warning, rather than error, because it wouldn't be user friendly to error out of a running script simply because GhostScript is missing.

Dan

You make a good point. The print command already checks if ghostscript is present, but doesn't do a very good job of using that info to produce informative warnings or errors. As I'm already looking at some changes to print.m, I'll add this to my list.

Ben