Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:18:49 -0400 (EDT)

Ben Abbott wrote:
   > If someone does have a non-postscript printer and is inclined to do
   > some tests for me, I'd like to produce a raw file for it (assuming it
   > is supported by ghostscript) and see if it prints correctly.
   >
   > All I need to know is (1) the ghostscript device name, and (2) the  page
   > size (usletter, or a4).

The most common non-postscript printer language is probably HP's PCL
(printer control language); ghostscript outputs PCL from the pcl3
driver, as well as the various LaserJet and DeskJet drivers (lj*, dj*).

There is also bunch of specific inkjet drivers: Canon Bubblejet
bj* and Epson epl* drivers, typically tied to a narrow range of printer models.

I think most HP printers that do PCL also use postscript nowadays, but this is
not the
case for the inkjets.