Re: desired features for gp backend?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: desired features for gp backend?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:35:40 -0400

On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:15 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 18-Jun-2009, Rob Mahurin wrote:

| Here's an example I've been thinking about for a while: I'd like
| enough control over Octave's axes to make Tufte's "dot-dash" and
| "range-frame" plots.  There are currently examples of each at
|       http://hupp.org/adam/weblog/category/tufte/
|
| I can do the dot-dash axes in gnuplot with "set border 0" followed by
| "set xtics (...data...)" to put major and minor tics in the right
| place.  But in gnuplot, constructing a command from a datafile is
| something of a major undertaking.  In octave it's now a one-liner
|       set(gca,"xticks", get(get(gca,"children"),"xdata"))
| but that currently puts a label at every point without some clever set
| (gca,"xticklabel"), and apparently I can't yet specify minor ticks.

Do you mean that it is not currently possible to specify minor tick
labels, or the locations of minor ticks?  Is this a limitation in
Octave only, or also Matlab?

| It looks like I even sent a patch suggesting an octave syntax for
| axis ticks without lines, but it wasn't accepted:
| http://www.nabble.com/axis-manipulations-in-plots-are- unnecessarily-
| restrictive-td15880016.html

There were a number of replies to your orignal message, and it was
some time ago.  So if there is still something that was not done or
does not work now, please submit a new patch or bug report.

jwe

Regarding the old thread, I noticed the suggestion to allow the ticklabels to be formated as ...

        set (gca, "xticklabel", "%.2f")

This can be done as a one-liner ...

        set (gca, "xticklabel", sprintf("%.2f|", get (gca, "xtick")))

However, I think it more convenient to support having the ticklabels specified as format statements. If the y-axes units were dollars ...

        set (gca, "yticklabel", "$%.2f")

If the units were um

        set (gca, "yticklabel", "%.2fum")

etc.

However, is the check below sufficient to qualify the ticklabel string as being a format?

        ischar (ticklabel) && size (ticklabel, 1) == 1 && any (ticklabel=="%")

... or should something more explicit be done?

Ben