Re: conflicting changesets for __go_draw_axes__

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: conflicting changesets for __go_draw_axes__
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:52:02 -0400

On Jun 18, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Ethan Merritt wrote:

On Thursday 18 June 2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
I just noticed an unexpected conflict between two changesets.

The one below changed the format for tick labels for log scale to be
"10^{%T}"

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f2152fad3563

This more recent one dropped the "*" from the x11 fontspec (as gnuplot
passed this to x11 which apparently results in a search through its
fontpath for each text object with that fontspec. Hence some
complaints that plotting was slowed down.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a00e219c402d

I see no reason why changing the gnuplot fontspec from "*,12" to ", 12"
would impact text objects with a format specification of "10^{%T}",
but when both of these changes are present, the log scale axes label
are always "10" with no exponent.

Using the current developers sources, this problem can be seen by ...

        clf
        semilogy (1:100)

Petr / Ethan, I've cc'd you in the hope one of you can give me some
advice as to why this is happening and how to fix it (I see it in both
a recent copy of gnuplot's developers sources as well as in 4.2.2).

Ben

I can't reproduce it here from inside gnuplot.
set log y
set format y "10^{%T}"
set term x11 enhanced
plot x^2

show the expected superscripts.

set term x11 font "*"
or
set term x11 font ",12"

also works as expected

I should have duplicated the effect in a short gnuplot script first.

The one below does not display the exponents.

set terminal x11 enhanced
reset;
set format x "%g";
set xtics font ",14";
set log y
set format y "10^{%T}";
set ytics font ",14";
set xrange [0:100]
plot x

However, this one does

set terminal x11 enhanced
reset;
set format x "%g";
set xtics font ",12";
set log y
set format y "10^{%T}";
set ytics font ",12";
set xrange [0:100]
plot x

I assume that gnuplot is trying to render the exponents in both cases, but when the point size does not exist, nothing is rendered?

Ben