Re: function handles & dispatch

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: function handles & dispatch
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:59:28 +0200

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM, John W. Eaton<address@hidden> wrote:
On 23-Jun-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| scanning the Matlab online docs, I found this paragraph in the section
| on function handles:
|
| For nonoverloaded functions, subfunctions, and private functions, a
| function handle references just the one function specified in the
| @functionname syntax. When you evaluate an overloaded function by
| means of its handle, the arguments the handle is evaluated with
| determine the actual function that MATLAB dispatches to.
|
| I don't think Octave currently does this - only functions are looked
| for, and the function is fixed once the handle is evaluated. Can
| anyone verify this is true in Matlab? Should we change the behavior to
| be Matlab compatible?

Yes, we should probably try to fix this.  Beware of US patent #6857118.

Huh? What, it's patented? Does it mean we shouldn't implement it? My
idea was to change the octave_fcn_handle class to do a lookup by args,
and possibly pre-cache some information to handle faster functions
that are not overloaded. I think this is the "obvious to an expert in
the field" kind of stuff.

regards

Function handles or pointers to functions have existed in C from the very begin.. X11 GC graphic contexts are full of them and have been for the last 25 years.. I would think this patent would be hard to defend from a prior art point of view

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)