Re: strcat error on printing plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: strcat error on printing plots
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:35:33 -0400

On 21-Jul-2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:

| unfortunately no change:
|
| *********************************************************
| error: Invalid call to strcat.  Correct usage is:
|
|  -- Function File:  strcat (S1, S2, ...)
|

| Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
| available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
| `doc <topic>' to search the manual index.
|
| Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
| at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
| mailing list.
| warning: __gnuplot_get_var__: some elements in list of return values are
undefined
| ***************************************************************

Try

  debug_on_error (true);

Then execute your print commands.  You should get a "debug> " prompt.
Then you can use "dbstack" to show you where the error occurred.
Maybe that will give you some clues about what is happening.

| however checking the memory consumption I suspect some
| leakage memory issue..
|
| After octave start I have
|
| 21664 K used memory as working set
| a="prova.png";
|  21668 K
| x=1:100;
|  21684 K
| plot (x,x);
|  62420 K
| print( "prova1.png","-dpng");
|  62432 K
|
| every successive print command increase the memory
| foot print of 8K until it crash
| sometime is only after few trials sometime I reached
| 12 print's before crash.
|
| Only the print is causing such memory increase,
| if I repeat the plot or the assigment the memory
| consumption stay flat.

There may be a leak, but that looks small, so it doesn't seem that it
would be enough to cause Octave to use all of your available memory in
just a few calls to print.