Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:09:12 +0200

John W. Eaton skrev:
On  6-Aug-2009, David Grundberg wrote:

| I've rearranged the GraphicsMagick++ configuration. I had some trouble | since I'm running a custom GraphicsMagick installation. The Octave build | system was running GraphicsMagick++-config during make. It was missing | ldflags and using only the basename of the config executable (as opposed | to a full path). | | I've changed it so that GraphicsMagick++-config is only run in the | configure script. Also introduced MAGICK_CONFIG as a precious variable.

I removed --ldflags to fix the following mysterious problem on my
system:

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-July/012879.html

So I don't think I can put it back without breaking __magick_read__
again, at least for me and other Debian users.

What are -Wl,-z,relro and -pie doing in the ldflags anyway?  Are those
arguments not present on your system?  Maybe they are present on mine
because of the way Debian builds the graphics magick library package?
Perhaps these flags make sense for creating the graphics magick
library itself, but I can't see any reason for them to be required to
link the graphics magick library with __magick_read__.oct.

jwe
So that's why --ldflags was taken away! I don't have that problem. This is the output from my config (where I'm building):

$ octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config --ldflags --libs -L/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm -lgomp -lpthread

My ubuntu 9.04 box says this about the managed package (haven't tried building against it):
address@hidden:~$ GraphicsMagick++-config --ldflags --libs
-L/usr/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
-lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm -lpthread

David