Re: fltk

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fltk
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 00:21:25 -0400

On  5-Sep-2009, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| I just established what you must have already known.
| Fedora systems need some other way of locating fonts.
|
| I put the: file = "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf";
|
| back in and now I get correct plots,

It works on my system without using a fallback font file as seems to
be required on your system, so somehow fontconfig is returning a
default font and I don't have to do it.

What do the following return on your system?

  get (0, "defaultaxesfontname")
  get (0, "defaulttextfontname")

| with warnings like:
| octave:3> plot([1:100])
| octave:4> warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-12
| plot([100:title("hello")
| octave:5> warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-12
| warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-12
| warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-12
| warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-12

Yes, those warnings come before using the default font file.  Maybe to
limit the warning spew, we could keep a list of the missing fonts and
only issue the missing font warning once per font.  But of course we
should try to make it so that this is an exceptional thing.  Octave
should normally find the default font and not need the fallback font
file.

| Do you know a font wizard?

No, maybe someone on the list knows more and could help?