Re: fontconfig failure on Fedora x86_64 systems

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: fontconfig failure on Fedora x86_64 systems
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:53:33 +0100

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Michael D Godfrey
<address@hidden> wrote:
> John,
>
> By the way, here is the "definition" of FcFontMatch from
> www.fontconfig.org:
>
> FcPattern * FcFontMatch(FcConfig *config, FcPattern *p, FcResult *result);
>
> Description
>
> Finds the font in sets most closely matching pattern and returns the result
> of FcFontRenderPrepare for that font and the provided pattern. This function
> should be called only after FcConfigSubstitute and FcDefaultSubstitute have
> been called for p; otherwise the results will not be correct. If config is
> NULL, the current configuration is used.
>
> Since, result is nowhere mentioned, this does not help much.  In fact,
> the description is completely obscure to me.  In other examples on the web
> I could find only uses of FcResultNoMatch that test on the returned value
> from
> Fc* calls.  So, I think that testing on &res may be an error.

It's not an error and you're allowed to test on the FcResult result.
Although this seems to be too conservative. Maybe a simple
warning if result == FcResultNoMatch could be enough.
To be honest, I probably copied that from somewhere else
(by looking in fontconfig examples on the web), but I don't
remember.

Michael.