Re: Assertion in symbol table due to Revision 8881

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Assertion in symbol table due to Revision 8881
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:58:55 +0200

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29-Jun-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>
> | The octave-core dump ends up being only 11 bytes long.
>
> The octave-core file is just an octave save file that contains the
> variables in the top-level workspace.  It is intended to help you
> avoid losing all your work if Octave crashes.  But it seems that it is
> a common misconception that this file can somehow be used for
> debugging.  Maybe simply changing the name to be something like
> octave-crash-workspace-PID would help avoid the confusion?  If there
> is agreement, I can make this change.

I don't think so. Octave is very clearly saying
attempting to save variables to 'octave-core'...
so saved variables are what you should expect in the file, and a who
does not bother reading messages just gets what he deserves.
Besides, I think the core dump filename is already customizable.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer