Re: gnulib and automake

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:19:34 +0100

Thomas Treichl schrieb:
Hi John,

on my Mac OS X 10.4 system I currently have two problems (sources still compiling this night, don't know if there are further problems)... The first thing is that in all subdirectories of libcruft eg. libcruft/amos etc. there don't exist ".deps" directories and they also cannot be build on my system (I currently have no idea what causes this or which command is doing this). The error looks like this (without any further information about which command calls "cp" or such)

  Making all in libcruft
  cp: illegal option -- d
  usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src target
cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory
  mv: rename amos/#inst.16473# to amos/.deps: No such file or directory
  /bin/sh: line 1: amos/.deps/.dirstamp: No such file or directory
  make[2]: *** [amos/.deps/.dirstamp] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make: *** [all] Error 2

If I create all ".deps" directories by hand in all subdirectories of libcruft then I also can make libcruft.

Ok, finally I also found out this problem and found a simple solution for it. With your patch there comes a file in the root directory that is called "install-sh". This file is a GNU/Linux file (at least I know that you are working on a GNU/Linux box ;) and doesn't work very well on Macs. I removed this file from my copy of the sources and autogen.sh'ed once again. Then install-sh is created automatically (actually a link is created) which works very well and also can handle the "-d" option correctly, see last line of this ./autogen.sh output snippet:

  calling aclocal...
  generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
  generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
  generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
  calling autoheader...
  calling automake...
  configure.ac:44: installing `./install-sh'

The install-sh file that is generated on my system then is a link that looks
like

  bash$ ls -l install-sh
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 Thomas  Thomas  41 Oct 30 20:13 install-sh ->
    /usr/local/share/automake-1.11/install-sh

I think the best thing to solve this problem is to remove the "install-sh" file from the sources because it is autogenerated.

Thanks and best regards

  Thomas