Re: gnulib and automake

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:52:50 -0400

On 31-Oct-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| > In any case, I don't plan to reverse the decision to use libtool and
| > automake, because I want to be able to use functions from gnulib, and
| > as far as I can tell, that is just not practical without automake and
| > libtool.
|
| Yes, I feared you'd say that. I see that I am on a lone post against
| libtool.
| Well, it's your decision. I'll respect it.
|
| > I can try to help you debug the problems, but you will have to send
| > more information about exactly what is happening.  Or, I need to know
| > how to duplicate the build environment you have, then I can try to
| > find a Windows system that I can use to debug the configuration
| > problems.
|
|  From what I saw until now, if I patch libtool as above and we get the
| dependency libraries for libcruft (possibly also for liboctave and
| liboctinterp?) right, then it should work.
| I'm curious how the .oct creation will behave.

Instead of the changes you have made, can we back up and start by
changing the LT_INIT call in configue.ac to be

  LT_INIT([disable-static win32-dll])

?  I missed the win32-dll option earlier, but I would expect it to
help some.  Other changes may still be required.  If so, then I think
we should report our experience to the libtool maintainers.