Re: libtool and mkoctfile

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:17:59 -0500

On  4-Nov-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| If you aim octave to rely on a posix base, then I guess at the end of
| the day, the only reasonable choice for windows platform is cygwin.

No, I don't see it that way.  It makes sense to me to write things
like

  strftime (...);

and then provide an strftime function on systems that do not have it
rather than do something like

  #if defined (_MSVC)
    MSVC-spefic code here
  #elif defined (VMS)
  #elif defined (AMIGA)
  #elif defined (HAVE_STRFTIME)
    strftime ();
  #else
  #error BARF
  #endif

everywhere the functionality of strftime is needed.  Or even to
encapsulate this myself.  Why reinvent these interfaces?