Re: finally actually using gnulib

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: finally actually using gnulib
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:51:42 -0500

On 14-Nov-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| Would it be possible to prevent this, by an additional option like
| --no-update? Or implicitly disable it, if the script is called with
| the --gnulib-srcdir option?
| I guess by removing/renaming/deleting the .git directory in the
| checkout tree I cannot run a git update (even separately, e.g. from
| within cygwin), which kind of defeates the intended use of git

That's why I suggested renaming it instead of removing it.  Then you
can temporarily put it back in place for the update, then move it
aside for building.

But yes, an option might also be useful.  Since this is an option for
the bootstrap script which we are using unmodified from the
gnulib/build-aux directory, the place to suggest that is the
address@hidden list.

I don't think that implicitly disabling if the --gnulib-srcdir option
is specified is the right thing to do.  I'd guess that the original
idea behind that option was to allow a single gnulib source tree to be
shared among several projects.