Re: *.texi files not generated

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: *.texi files not generated
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:37:47 -0500

On 30-Nov-2009, Rik wrote:

| > I checked in the following change.  Does it fix the problem for you?
| >
| >   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/81c5ea6ddf81
| >
| May I substitute my patch for yours later today?

Would you please post your proposed change first?

| Mine handles the
| missing *.texi files and in addition gets the distribution and cleanfile
| targets correct.

Doesn't mine also do that?  When I tested it, it generated the .texi
files.  If there is a problem, what part is missing?

If we don't distribute conf.texi, but expect it to always be created
at build time, then I don't see the point of distributing the
generated .texi files.  We might as well expect those to be generated
at build time.

Yes, this goes against the coding standard that says it should not be
necessary to have makeinfo/texinfo installed to build a package, but
if we require that conf.texi to be generated, then I don't see any
alternative.

OTOH, if we decide that we don't need to build conf.texi, then we can
just distribute all the .txi and generated .texi files.