Re: GPU Engine for Octave

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: GPU Engine for Octave
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:06:19 -0500

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there any free software library that interfaces with GPU hardware?

I don't know much about GPGPU, but after some searching I found that
BrookGPU is BSD-licensed.
http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu

It seems like OpenCL is picking up industry support as some sort of
bandwagon. It is now shipped as a part of MacOS X Snow Leopard (System
Library exemption on MacOS X?).

There appears to be some work on an "OpenCL implementation on top of
Gallium." (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/clover/). "Gallium3D is a
new architecture for building 3D graphics drivers. Initially
supporting Mesa and Linux graphics drivers, Gallium3D is designed to
allow portability to all major operating systems and graphics
interfaces." (http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gallium)

--judd