Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:18:09 -0500

On  8-Dec-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| The problem is that an #ifdef would be needed at each call, which
| means a workaround spread across a number of sources, and I think
| that's not good.
| Ummm. This problem would probably not exist if the Array class
| hierarchy was more linear, so that the appliers could be parametrized
| by value types rather than array types.

What about doing something like

  #if defined (AVOID_MSVC_FOO_BUG)
  #define DO_MX_UMARY_MAP(T1, T2, F) \
    do_mx_unary_map<T1, T2> (*this, F)
  #else
  #define DO_MX_UMARY_MAP(T1, T2, F) \
    do_mx_unary_map<T1, T2, F> (*this)
  #fi

?  Would that work?  Doesn't that allow the difference to be in one
header file and also preserve the possibility for better inlining on
non-MSVC systems?

| Here's an idea: what about including the compatibility patches
| directly in Octave's sources?

That would be OK with me.