Re: Organization of plots in the Manual

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: Organization of plots in the Manual
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:48:34 -0800

On 12/16/2009 01:22 PM, Rik wrote:
We currently process the .txi into .texis with munge-texi so we could
always add another command of our own for extracting the code.  On the
other hand, the documentation might get cluttered if every graph has a
sample image and the code to produce it.

I had not thought of the cases where there is no sample code displayed in
the text (I just started editing at the beginning of plot.txi).  However, should be
possible to deal with this case by providing an "invisible" option in the sample
code sequence.  This option would mean: do not display the sample
code as text, but use it to generate the plot.   Also, I think that in most
cases it is a good idea to show the code.  It helps the learning process
if the person can type in (or copy and paste) the sequence and see the
plot for themselves.

I also think that it is important that the sample code actually correctly
generates the displayed plot.  This is not always the case now.

I will take a look at munge-texi.

Michael