Re: Oplot a backend for Octave

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Oplot a backend for Octave
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:44:56 -0800

On 01/07/2010 02:59 PM, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:
Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

> On 01/07/2010 06:57 AM, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:

>> Why does print.m use gnuplot related commands? This means that gnuplot is
>> mandatory as a installation during file generation with print.m!
>> Shouldn't
>> the backend fix the printing functionality?
>> Shouldn't gnuplot just be a backend, and not the primary application for
>> file generation of figures?
>>

> This is not accurate.  gnuplot is a backend, See the backend command.
> While there are gnuplot commands in print.m, this is due to history and
> gnuplot is
> not required.  For example, on my Mac I have not yet implemented gnuplot
> but fltk
> is fully functional.  It has been remarked before that print.m is due
> for improvement
> in order to cleanly separate backends.
>
> You should look at the fltk backend and see how your code relates to it
> and where
> you can contribute to enhancing the current capabilities.
>
> Michael

When I tried the following with Octave without having gnuplot installed :

>> backend("oplot"); plot(randn(1,100)); print -dpng test.png

I then got a message saying that I needed gnuplot to be able to create
test.png.
But that must be wrong...No file was generated though.....

I haven't looked at the code at a detailed level, so some information might
not have reached my eyes....;-)

This is not surprising, since the print.m code now only expects either gnuplot or fltk.
I have no idea what it thought of "oplot"
Qt4 is quite large, and the signal-slot mechanism in Qt would be challenging
to be implemented in internal octave, I think. Therefore I use CMake
building system, and not the ancient automake tools.

Oplot is using opengl_renderer, the same OpenGL renderer as FLTK uses. Using
QSvgGenerator, I hope to to generate SVG files from oplot gui. ;-)

Version:
Oplot is GPL'ed yes.

I need to check out code from repository, since I'm using the 3.3.50
release. ;-)
Then I can study both the image rendering and gl2ps interface. ;-)

Good idea.  I think you will find that you can help a lot!! :-)

Michael
-- View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Oplot-a-backend-for-Octave-tp27061261p27068575.html Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.