Re: bug tracking

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: bug tracking
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:36:09 -0800

tir, 02 03 2010 kl. 15:53 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On  2-Mar-2010, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>
> | Would it work to use an existing Bugzilla, e.g. Fedora's? It is already
> | set up and maintained, and it has a significant infrastructure built
> | around it, admittedly centered around Fedora/RPM.
>
> Yes, I suppose it could work.  I would be happy to have someone else
> maintain the bug reporting infrastructure.  I don't really want that
> job, and there are probably a lot more useful things I could do for
> Octave other than babysit a bug tracker.

I really think maintenance is something to keep in mind. Not only
because it is time-consuming, but also because it is usually a really
boring task. At least for me, boring tasks tend to kill my spirit, in
the sense that I loose motivation. We have so few contributors, that we
really can't afford to loose any due to lack of motivation.

Anyway, these days Launchpad [1] is also an option as it is now Free
software. I am not sure, if it works better than Bugzilla, but it does
support reply-by-mail quite well (at least in my experience).

Soren

[1] https://launchpad.net/