RE: [OctDev] A few (Octave) ideas

From: dastew
Subject: RE: [OctDev] A few (Octave) ideas
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:18:34 +0000

From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden; address@hidden
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:33:15 -0400
CC: address@hidden
Subject: [OctDev] A few (Octave) ideas

Hello all,
<snip>
I've also got another idea concerning packages.  I was reading through the Octave manual the other day and saw the various difference pkg functions and urlwrite.  Anyway, to cut to the chase, I think it'd be very useful and very easy to implement an extra pkg option to automatically download and install Octave-Forge packages.  We could keep a small text file on one of the Octave sites containing package names along with their dependencies and download URLs.  The new function would download this file, parse it, and then do nothing more than download packages with urlwrite and install them with pkg install (as well as ensuring that dependent packages are installed first).  It'd be awesome if you could take a fresh install of Octave and simply type in something like 'pkg get vrml'.  I'd LOVE to program this much at least and would like to hear what all of your thoughts are on such an idea.

I think this would be fantastic.  We should have txt input files for
statistics
controls engineering
sparse Matrices
Numerical methods
etc.

In the controls engineering it could have
 controls pkg
ode pkg
filters pkg
etc
In other words all the stuff that an electrical engineering student would want.

These txt files should be adaptable by the user.

Just my 2C worth.
Doug Stewart
PS      I found that with my students it was a pain to have to show them all the pkg system so that they could get the controls pkg going. If you can make this smoother it would be a great help.

Thanks for your time.

-Jacob Abel
http://thatcadguy.blogspot.com/