Re: Book project

From: forkandwait
Subject: Re: Book project
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:01:28 +0000 (UTC)

Robert T. Short <octave <at> phaselockedsystems.com> writes:

> I tried to pitch "Signal Processing and Communications using Octave" to
> a few publishers.  I didn't try O'Reilly, since I don't think they are a
> serious scientific publisher,

I wouldn't pitch a book that scientific to O'Reilly either but there is plenty
of application of matlab ish approaches without being a sophisticated controls
type of guy....

> but the response was very lukewarm.
> Things like "what about MATLAB?" were common responses.  I put that
> project aside because Wiley accepted a different proposal.

... However, I imagine the open source version of Matlab angle would interest
them a great deal.

> If you want to make a formal book out of the octave user's manual,
> O'Reilly is probably a good choice.

Well, I am not so sure about that.  The manual is already available to purchase
printed.  O'Reilly books are also more practical and tutorial oriented then the
manual, which is more reference oriented.

> I hope everyone understands that
> writing a book is a monumental effort.  Even redoing the manual into a
> formal publication will be an enormous job.  Very, very worthwhile, but
> a serious effort.

Indeed, I am not pitching it ;)