Re: JIT - automated mexing

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: JIT - automated mexing
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:03:56 +0200

Fotios Kasolis wrote:
1) First automated mexing will be done by the user if he/she really wants by
calling function so the idea of just in time is absent.
2) What i was thinking is sth like:
    - Parse file and find loops (and to make it easy) that do not call any
functions!
    - analyze <for> blocks
    - based on gathered info write mex functions with proper arguments
(iterators, vectors, matrices) that implement the same loops.
    - system("mex myfunc.mex")
    - make new function file with loops replaced by function calls to mex
functions.

I m not 100% sure but this sounds much easier than embedding JIT. So we just replace loops with function calls.

And how do you type the variables in the mex-file. If you don't do the type discovery you'll just end with a code like

http://www.ruena.de/files/Oct_Interpreter_Compiler.pdf

that compiles to oct-files with dynamic typing of the variable and basically doesn't give any speed improvements

D.