Re: rewrite of structs - advice sought

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: rewrite of structs - advice sought
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:36:40 +0200

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM, fork <address@hidden> wrote:
>> May I suggest enhancing the
>> | basic load and save operation, implementing something similar to R data
>> | frame, which are:
>> |   A data frame, a matrix-like structure whose columns may be of differing
>> | types (numeric, logical, factor and character and so on).
>> |
>> | Basically, load and save should try to return a structure array in case of
>> | first non-comment line of fields name, a matrix if all values are of
>> similar
>> | types, and an error code otherwise ?
>
> (this should be a different thread if we really want to pursue it)
>
> data.frames (and smart categorical data handling) are some of the few things I
> miss about R.  It is really nice to be able to write
>
> data[10:15, 'colname']
>
> and get something reasonable.

Although several people requested something like this before, none of
them ever showed any real interest in summarizing the desirable
features. For instance, regarding the above, I don't understand how it
differs from "data.colname(10:15)". Saying just "something like R has"
is basically useless.
Once the desired features are summarized and discussed by the
interested people, we can think about possible implementation.
I believe a m-file class in octave forge would handle this well.

best regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer