Re: Refcard

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Refcard
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:47:44 -0700

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 1 July 2010 13:03, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I also think the command-line editing options are less useful than more
>> documentation about Octave itself.
>
> I find readline to be absolutely essential to being able to use Octave
> comfortably. Also, readline by default uses GNU Emacs-like keys, just
> like info, and as a GNU project, Octave shouldn't shy away from at
> least mentioning this. Lack of readline is one of the reasons I find
> things like QtOctave and similar almost useless. It would be ok to
> simply replace the documentation on readline in Octave itself with a
> reference to how to use readline, perhaps a URL, but please don't
> remove it entirely from the documentation!
I appreciate the command line too.  But as you point out, most of the
command line stuff is really documentation about readline.  It certainly
deserves to stay in the Octave manual, but in the space-constrained
reference card I think it should only get a mention and a link out to more
documentation.

--Rik