Re: error in test beta.m

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: error in test beta.m
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:57:47 +0900 (JST)

Hello

I have a look at beta.m

retval = real (exp (gammaln (a) + gammaln (b) - gammaln (a+b)));

In the case of the test in failure gammaln(0) is the origin of the error,
octave.exe:43> gammaln(0)
 ***MESSAGE FROM ROUTINE DGAMMA IN LIBRARY SLATEC.
 ***FATAL ERROR, PROG ABORTED, TRACEBACK REQUESTED
 *  X IS 0
 *  ERROR NUMBER = 4
 *
 ***END OF MESSAGE

 ***JOB ABORT DUE TO FATAL ERROR.
0          ERROR MESSAGE SUMMARY
 LIBRARY    SUBROUTINE MESSAGE START             NERR     LEVEL     COUNT
 SLATEC     DGAMMA     X IS 0                       4         2         5

error: lgamma: exception encountered in Fortran subroutine dlgams_

Hmmm!

How about gammaln(0) on the other platform ?

Regards

Tatsuro
--- Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> [...]
>
> Enviornmen:s MinGW32 GCC 4.5.0, windows xp pro.
>
> ./run-octave
>  :
> octave.exe:3> test beta verbose
> octave.exe:1> test beta
>  ***MESSAGE FROM ROUTINE DGAMMA IN LIBRARY SLATEC.
>  ***FATAL ERROR, PROG ABORTED, TRACEBACK REQUESTED
>  *  X IS 0
>  *  ERROR NUMBER = 4
>  *
>  ***END OF MESSAGE
>
>  ***JOB ABORT DUE TO FATAL ERROR.
> 0          ERROR MESSAGE SUMMARY
>  LIBRARY    SUBROUTINE MESSAGE START             NERR     LEVEL     COUNT
>  SLATEC     DGAMMA     X IS 0                       4         2         1
>
>   ***** test
>  a = 0.25 + (0:5) * 0.5;
>  tol = 10 * max (a) * eps;
>  assert (zeros (size (a)), beta (a, -a), tol)
>  assert (zeros (size (a)), beta (-a, a), tol)
> !!!!! test failed
> exception encountered in Fortran subroutine dlgams_
> *******************
>
> To make clear deeply I probably have to use ./run-octave -g
> I have tried 'br dlgams_' and tcatch catch.
>
> I do not have enough knowledge of gdb.
>

> (gdb) br dlgams_
> No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
> Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
> Breakpoint 1 (dlgams_) pending.
>
> (gdb) run
> <snip>
>
> (gdb) br dlgams_
> No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
> Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
>
> octave.exe:1> a = 0.25 + (0:5) * 0.5;
> octave.exe:2> beta (a, -a)
> Breakpoint 1, 0x00501ebd in dlgams_ ()
>    from
> d:\usr\Tatsu\mingwhome\octaves\OctBuild\hg-devel\libcruft\.libs\libcruft-3-3-51+.dll
> (gdb) tcatch catch
> Note: breakpoint 2 also set at pc 0x640d9278.
> Temporary catchpoint 3 (catch)
> (gdb) continue
> Continuing.
> <snip>
> Breakpoint 1, 0x00501ebd in dlgams_ ()
>    from
> d:\usr\Tatsu\mingwhome\octaves\OctBuild\hg-devel\libcruft\.libs\libcruft-3-3-51+.dll
> (gdb) continue
> Continuing.
>  ***MESSAGE FROM ROUTINE DGAMMA IN LIBRARY SLATEC.
>  ***FATAL ERROR, PROG ABORTED, TRACEBACK REQUESTED
>  *  X IS 0
>  *  ERROR NUMBER = 4
>  *
>  ***END OF MESSAGE
>
>  ***JOB ABORT DUE TO FATAL ERROR.
> 0          ERROR MESSAGE SUMMARY
>  LIBRARY    SUBROUTINE MESSAGE START             NERR     LEVEL     COUNT
>  SLATEC     DGAMMA     X IS 0                       4         2         2
>
> error: lgamma: exception encountered in Fortran subroutine dlgams_
> error: evaluating argument list element number 1
> error: evaluating argument list element number 1

d:\\usr\\Tatsu\\mingwhome\\octaves\\OctBuild\\hg-devel\\..\\..\\hg\\octave-work\\scripts\\specfun\beta.m