Re: temporary files not deleted after exit

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: temporary files not deleted after exit
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

On 25 Aug, 2010,at 04:16 PM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

On 25-Aug-2010, Judd Storrs wrote:

| On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| in that case I would not use a temporary name. If none of these files are
| temporary, what then is a 'temporary' file?
|
| Files opened with mkstemp() and tmpfile(), but I don't see anyway to use those
| with save().

Should we have fsave and fload functions that accept file IDs instead of
names?

| I could have sworn I once came across a function that would add
| files to the list of files to be deleted on exit, but I can't find
| it now so I must be hallucinating?

Look at mark_for_deletion in file-io.cc. But it is not exported to
the interpreter level. Should we do that?

Maybe discussion about these questions would be more appropriate for
the maintainers list.

jwe

I'm guilty of not paying close enough attention to how the temp files work. As a result there are several examples in scripts/plot where tmpnam() is used, but the file is not deleted.

Having mark_for_deletion be exported to the interpreter level would make it easy to fix that.

Ben

p.s. I've moved this discussion to the maintainers list