Re: octave faq

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave faq
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:36:11 -0400

On 31-Aug-2010, David Grundberg wrote:

| The current webpage FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/FAQ.html) is
| helpful but yet it doesn't really answer any of the questions we are
| seeing today.  Some (or most) of it is kind of manual material too, and
| doesn't have the nature of a mailing list FAQ.  It's very much like a
| list of things "good to know", without any actual questions. :)  We need
| something that A) is read by people joining the mailing list (i.e. easy
| to find) and B) reflects what people frequently are asking about.  That
| way we could help new users by publishing the common solutions, have
| better quality of questions raised and be overall happier with our lives.
|
| I'm totally signing up to correct that.  How do I change the webpage?

The current web page FAQ is generated from the OctaveFAQ.texi file in
the doc/faq directory of the Octave sources.  So the first thing to do
is update that.  Then you can generate HTML or info or pdf or ...
The HTML version can go on the web.  You can check those pages out
from the savannah CVS archive.  Maybe the info version could be posted
to the help list periodically.